PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Jan 28 09:06:21 CST 2019

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 9:50 AM, Paul Koning via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 27, 2019, at 9:27 PM, Fritz Mueller via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

>> ANALYS  V06C-03 RSTS V06C-03 FRITZTS
>> Input <[0,1]CRASH.SYS>?
>> Output <KB:ANALYS.DMP>?
>> Crash Error Log Filename <$ERRCRS.FIL>?
>>
>> Analysis of (0,1)CRASH.SYS/SIL:SY0:(0,1)RSTS.SIL
>>       Taken on 27-Jan-89 at 06:16 PM
>>

>> Certain Critical values are inaccurate
>> Octal Dump of Status will not be attempted
>
> That's puzzling.  How did you generate the crash dump?  I remember that message but not what causes it (if I ever knew).
>
> Perhaps it wants to read the defaults.  If so, copying the monitor SIL file would take care of that.
>
> Is the system on which you're running this ANALYS run using the same monitor as the failed system?  Maybe that's the issue.  If ANALYS is using current monitor offsets to find data structures in the dump file, that won't work if you're analyzing a dump from a different system.

Looking at the 10.1 source of ANALYS: it defaults to the installed SIL (of the running system).  So if your dump came from a different system, that won't be correct.  In V10.1 there is a switch to supply the correct SIL name.  You might try that for your run.  Specify "/SIL:yourmonitor.SIL" on the "input" prompt.  Or, if needed, "crashfile/SIL:monitor" if you need to supply a different dump file name as well.

So you do need the correct SIL file.  As-built should be sufficient (I don't believe it cares about the defaults, so the stuff INIT saves into the DEFALT section of the monitor SIL should not be needed).

	paul