off topic - capatob - saratov2 computer Russsian pdp8? HELP

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun Jan 6 13:08:06 CST 2019

On 1/6/19 11:25 AM, Guy Sotomayor Jr via cctalk wrote:
> I think it’s also telling that the IETF uses the term octet in all of
> the specifications to refer to 8-bit sized data.  As “byte” (from
> older machines) could be anything and is thus somewhat ambiguous.
>
> It *may* have been the IBM 360 that started the trend of Byte == 8-bits
> as the 360’s memory (in IBM’s terms) was byte addressable and the
> instructions for accessing them were “byte” instructions (as opposed
> to half-word and word instructions).

Thank you for the clarification.

My take away is that before some nebulous point in time (circa IBM's
360) a "byte" could be a number of different bits, depending on the
computer being discussed.  Conversely, after said nebulous point in time
a byte was standardized on 8-bits.

Is that fair and accurate enough?  -  I'm wanting to validate the patch
before I apply it to my mental model of things.  ;-)

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die