Kemners Surplus - Real time walkthrough

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Feb 18 11:23:43 CST 2019

On 2/18/19 8:10 AM, Bill Degnan via cctalk wrote:
> Of the items in
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Q8Jx7n36fmVczLN8
>
> This photo depicts a Raytheon VT302, I did not see the keyboard in the
> photo, hoping it is not lost:
>
> https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN-btB2yizsHBmabHb7xtHr_zUWZlS6QENHMHbb-beU6Jf4oNqEABuPoVWamYFUtg/photo/AF1QipOzaTLOK_RE9-qpb9i-3_qcoRrQXL7idfoAHsk?key=MmhXdXRtVkhoZkNGODBleGFNeGYza2xvV1BkbjV3
>
> ...but I can say this is apparently a very rare or historic computer, not
> many known to exist other than this one (unless the one I once owned found
> its way to this surplus shop, I know don't remember who bought it from me,
> but it was in this same general geographic location and may have found its
> way here eventually.  So, someone might want to grab it.

I probably have at least one sample of a Lexitron floppy in my stash; I
don't think they were particularly rare back in the day.  The problem
today is that nobody (or almost nobody) collects old word processors,
due to their limited application and appeal.

As an example, where I worked in 1977, we had at least two Artec word
processing systems.  Basically Diablo Hitypes hooked to large
floor-standing units with 8" diskette drives and using a one-line LCD
mounted on the Hitype.

After the IBM PC and similar machines debuted, the word processor market
collapsed quickly.  Artec was purchased by Pitney-Bowes and merged into
Dictaphone, another acquisition.  By 1983, P-B had abandoned the WP
business entirely.

How many people have heard of, much less collect, smart typewriters made
by Exxon Qyx, for example.  Or old Harris/Lanier word processors?

--Chuck