PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 05:06:24 CST 2019

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 at 04:34, Jeffrey S. Worley via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> The install would start and then bomb at a certain point every time.  I
> decided to work the machine hard and then pull the board and give a
> good SNIFF.

Got a nose for a hardware fault, eh? ;-)

And some of my younger colleagues thought it was strange that I could
predict hard disk failures from the running noises they made, and
later than that, whether WinNT's bus-mastering DMA-mode disk
controller device driver was installed from the sound of the disk
accesses while the machine booted.

BTW, Jeff, Gmail bottom-quotes just fine. I'm using the web interface
right now. Just hit Ctrl-A, trim as needed and move the cursor. Yes,
it's a pain on mobile, so I try not to answer on mobiles!