IBM 3174 C 6.4 Microcode Disks?

Dave Wade dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 05:04:17 CST 2019

1) If it has a token ring card then it does not matter that it also has
Bus+Tag channel card. It will still talk TCP/IP and other machines.

2) https://www.argecy.com/2389 have microcode. Al says he got some from them
recently. I can copy the latest version but I am short of 2.4MB disks
(and in th uk)

3) Boot up the diagnostics and utility disk. It will show the memory. There
is a list of card numbers in the Maintenance Manual

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/3174/SY27-2572-4_3174_1L_1R_2R_3R_11L_11R_12R_1
3R_Maintenance_May89.pdf

4) You need 2 x 2.4 or 1 x 2.4 and a hard disk for config C6.

The smaller 3174's have a movable link for the PSU. No idea about the model
11....

Dave
(also some info on old Lordsnet site via archive.org

http://web.archive.org/web/20080820002806/http://www.lordsnet.com/UsedIBM317
4Summ.htm

Dave

I'm
> trying to move such gear.  Between the 3174 and a 9406-520 I also
acquired, I
> pulled or strained something in my left arm moving them into place.
>
> It's currently wired to run on 220v.  I think I've seen mentioned
somewhere
> that it can be changed to run on 110v.  If that's the case, does anyone
have a
> pointer to documentation on what's involved?
>
> It has dual floppy drives.  At least one drive is a 2.4MB drive.  But, all
the
> microcode disks I have are at level B 4.6.  Does anyone know where I can
get
> a set of C 6.4 control and control extension disks.  From what I've heard
those
> are what's needed to enable an attached terminal to connect to other
> systems via telnet.
>
> It has a token ring card.  I will probably be able to get the MAU it was
> connected to, and possibly the router that acted as a token ring to
Ethernet