Tight clearance bit holder (was: Mounting HP7970e 9-Trk 1/2" Tape Drive

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Thu Feb 7 16:01:50 CST 2019

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Ratchet right-angle screwdrivers are also an option, as are ball-end
> allen wrenches or offset-head screwdrivers.  None are particularly dear.

After half a century of using the cheap crap, first the stamped chrome
ones, and then the black ones from Hazard Fraught, I have found one that I
like:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Ratchet-Swisstool-Spirit-Multi-Tool/dp/B00LFKZ374

It's much smaller, sleeker and works well.  You need to flip it over to
reverse.     Made by Victorinox (Swiss army knife). About five times the
price of Hazard Fraught.
I have NOT yet seen how it withstands abuse, such as hitting with a
hammer, or putting a pipe on the end to exceed its torque range.

Since bit fits through it, bit length is the limit of where it will fit,
plus a finger or screw driver blade to apply pressure to keep Phillips
from camming out.

There is an extension available, that can also be stuck in the back end
for more torque:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Extension-Swisstool-Spirit-Multi-Tool/dp/B004UON5JU/
and a non-ratheting bit turner and a plastic bit storage that clips to
either the ratchet or non-ratchet:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Bits-Wrench-Pouch-Nylon/dp/B001CDKT7I/

Grumpy Ol' Fred     		cisin at xenosoft.com