PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Feb 6 20:25:20 CST 2019

On 02/06/2019 12:53 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:

> If so, i) we're down to one problem (good news), and our problem turns into
> finding out how that section of the code got trashed (bad news).
I'm thinking it is bad memory.  It seems unlikely bus
problems could alter only ONE BIT per word, so I think it is
just a bad memory chip, and finding multiple words where the
010000 bit is now turned on sure looks like that kind of
problem.  It could, of course, be a bad driver or receiver
on the memory board.  Might also check the other voltage in
the memory array (+12 or whatever was used internally in the
particular memory) and also look for degraded caps on the board.

Jon