Mounting HP7970e 9-Trk 1/2" Tape Drive

Alan Frisbie flash688 at flying-disk.com
Wed Feb 6 17:43:38 CST 2019

Jack Harper <harper at secureoutcomes-hq.com> wrote:

> I got both drives into the rack this past weekend and I am an old guy
> (67) - I carefully stared at the thing before I started and finally
> figured out that I could, in fact, lift the drive from a waist high
> cart for a few seconds, but definitely could not lift it or lower it
> vertically with my arms - no way - and I would have one shot at
> getting the drives into the rack on the rails.

Harbor Freight sells a nice hydraulic lift table for under $200 that
I have found very useful for that sort of thing.   It doesn't go up
very high (like for the top of a rack), but I used it with some wood
blocks to lift a DEC ES45 Alpha system into a rack by myself.

500 pound capacity, 28.5" lift height, $170
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html

1000 pound capacity, 34.5" lift height, $260
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html

Alan Frisbie