PDP-11/45 RSTS/E boot problem

Wayne S wayne.sudol at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:17:03 CST 2019

Noel,  it might be a wonky filesystem.

I’ve had ls -l seg fault because of bad attribute data on a file in a directory on Solaris.

Interestingly, ls (without the -l) worked okay.

Maybe fsck or the equivalent command may show something.

It was a Solaris system with many concurrent users so I couldn’t  take it down to  run fsck so I

ended up writing a quick Perl program to just list file names and then modified it to get the attributes. It seg faulted when it came to the bad file name.  I used Perl unlink to kill it and everything was okay.

The corruption probably came because the entire disk was going bad.

Just a thought.