Nixdorf computer AG boards rechner 154

Ed Groenenberg ed at groenenberg.net
Sat Dec 21 05:00:16 CST 2019

Alan Perry via cctalk wrote:

> On 12/20/19 6:36 PM, Jon Elson via cctech wrote:
>> On 12/20/2019 02:53 PM, Adrian Stoness via cctech wrote:
>>> weird nixdorf is the last name of my boss whos in his 70's engineered
>>> lime
>>> plants around north america for what became greymont
>>>

>> No, Nixdorf was a significant player in the computer business in Europe,
>> especially.
>> Wikipedia says they were the 4th largest computer maker in Europe at one
>> time.
>
> Nixdorf was eaten by Siemens 1990 to form Siemens Nixdorf
> Informationssysteme (SNI).
>
> I worked for SNI in Munich in 1991-92 porting SVR4 (branded as SINIX) to
> a new 386-based multiprocessor system they were developing. I heard
> there was a MIPS-based system that used the same chassis under
> development at what had been Nixdorf in Paderborn.
>
> alan

That would have been the 'Targon 35'  It was almost identical to a Pyramid
system, both in HW and SW architecture. We had one of these machines and
we could use the software released for Pyramid on it without any issues.
AFAIK, there was even some sort of oartnership between the 2 companies.

Ed
--
Ik email, dus ik besta 😆