WANTED: DEC TU56 DECtape drive

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Dec 16 18:41:05 CST 2019

    > From: Thomas Moss

    > Probably a long-shot, but I'm looking for a DECtape drive for my
    > PDP-8/e.

Long shot indeed! DECtape drives are one of the rarest DEC peripheral, and
un-surprisingly, one of the most valuable. (A TU56 sold on eBait for $7K back
in 2015.)

Would a TU55 do, or does it have to be a TU56? (The interface is basically
compatible, I think, but I have yet to dig into the details, so I can't
say for certain. But I think I recall seeing systems with one or the other,
and AFAIK the controllers aren't drive-type specific - the cabling might
be, though.)

	Noel