8 inch floppies

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Fri Dec 13 18:41:21 CST 2019

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Some could also be "flippies".  Those were made by several manufacturers.

. . . and almost 40 years ago, for my first marketed product, I made and
marketed plexiglass pocket shaped jigs for marking diskettes for punching
them.  Several models, a 5.25 into Flippy, and an 8" into SS/Flippy and
DS.  One some, I also had a jig for putting on hub-rings.

In the FIRST and LAST picture, at the lower left, the bottom three
diskettes are a Memorex "1S" single sided single density, and two Memorex
"2D" double sided double density.
About half are the Memorex "2D", a handful of the Memorex "1S", a handful
of Nashua 2D, a scotch 1D, . . .
I'm pretty sure that those are NOT Memorex "flippies".

But, the previous owner could have had one of my jigs or a competing one,
or could have had more than one drive or more than one system, or a drive
that did both.

But the variant types don't invalidate your hypothesis of what system, any
more than finding a few extraneous Macintosh diskettes in the box for your
Windows disks.  I assume that you are right, but there are some others
thrown in.
("How the hell did those get mixed together?")