Converting C for KCC on TOPS20

David Griffith dave at 661.org
Tue Dec 10 18:25:58 CST 2019

I'm trying to convert some C code[1] so it'll compile on TOPS20 with KCC.
KCC is mostly ANSI compliant, but it needs to use the TOPS20 linker, which
has a limit of six case-insentive characters.  Adam Thornton wrote a Perl
script[2] that successfully does this for Frotz 2.32.  The Frotz codebase
has evolved past what was done there and so 2.50 no longer works with
Adam's script.  So I've been expanding that script into something of my
own, which I call "snavig"[3].  It seems to be gradually working more and
more, but I fear the problem is starting to rapidly diverge because it
still doesn't yield compilable code even on Unix.  Does anyone here have
any knowledge of existing tools or techniques to do what I'm trying to do?

This is part of a project to get Infocom and other Z-machine games running
once again on PDP10 mainframes, either real or emulated.  First up is to
get the bare minimum of a current Z-machine emulator running on TOPS20.
Then we can work on screen-handling, a disk pager[4], and porting to other
PDP10 operating systems.  I'm hoping that this will lead to fun exhibits
wherever PDP10s are displayed in museum or faire settings.

[1] https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/frotz
[2] https://github.com/athornton/gnusto-frotz-tops20
[3] Change an objects shape.
[4] Infocom's Z-machine emulators paged zcode from disk, but Frotz simply
sucks the whole zcode file into memory.

--
David Griffith
dave at 661.org