P112

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 2 15:05:14 CST 2019

On 12/2/19 11:31 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> As far as 8-inch drives are concerned, you would need to do exactly
> everything you would need to do to hook up an 8-inch drive to a PC,
> since the P112 uses a PC SuperIO chip for the FDC, and the floppy
> headers have PC pinouts and signal meanings (unlike the CPU280.....).
> The dBit FDADAP or similar would be needed to generate TG43 as well as
> translate the pinout correctly.  I haven't tried single-density support
> on the P112, so don't know if that would work or not, but the SuperIO
> chip used should be able to do that.

Well, I have the dBit FDADAP.  Works great.  I have used them
before on a PC to access PDP-11 disks from PUTR and E11.  The
P112 claims to support 8" but I am finding it unlikely.  If it
(well, at least the OSes it runs) don't even know it only has
77 tracks I can't see how anyone has done 8" disks on it.

And then I went on to try the GIDE.  I can't get FDISK to
create partitions of any kind.

I get

Command (h for help) : n
Partition number (1-8) : 1
First cylinder (1-17455, default 1) : 1
Value out of range

And that is what I get no matter what value I enter.

Why am I getting this sneaking suspicion that none of this
stuff actually works?

bill