TRS-80 Fireworks

Marvin Johnston marvin at west.net
Wed Aug 28 03:15:48 CDT 2019

I'm just curious how many people have powered up their TRS-80 computers,
and ended up with a bang and a room filled with smoke?

So far, I've gotten the fireworks in two out of two TRS-80s (model 3 and
4) when they were powered up. In both cases, the problem was with the
main line filter capacitor mounted on one of the power supplies. The
computers continued to work which was my first clue the problem was not
serious :).

Is this a normal problem with these older computers? I'm used to seeing
the electrolytics give problems, but this is the first time I've seen
one of the X type line filter caps blow.