bit-slice and microcode discussion list

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Aug 23 12:47:52 CDT 2019

    > From: Jon Elson

    >> On 08/22/2019 12:47 PM, Tom Uban via cctalk wrote:

    >> On a possible related note, I am looking for information on converting
    >> CISC instructions to VLIW RISC.

    > I think it might end up looking a bit like the optimizers that were
    > used on drum memory computers back in the dark ages.

I dunno; those were all about picking _addresses_ for instructions, such
that the next instruction was coming up to the heads as the last one
completed.

The _order_ of execution wasn't changed, there was no issue of contention
for computing elements, etc - i.e. all the things ones think of a
CISC->VLIW translation as doing.

	Noel