Pertec Interface Cable Length

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 12 10:11:13 CDT 2019

On 8/12/2019 1:25 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctech wrote:
> On 8/11/19 8:51 PM, Douglas Taylor via cctech wrote:
>
>> The TC02 is an Emulex TS11 emulation for pertec interface tape drives.
>> The J1 and J2 are sort of standard terminology, don't know why.
> Ah, the *Emulex* TC02.  You had me going there--DEC also has a DECtape
> controller called the TC02.
>
> Looking at the TC02, there are 374s to latch data coming from the
> Qualstar and use the termination packs, but there are also 7438s driving
> the lines from the TC02 to the Qualstar.   Those have no terminators.
>
> The TC02 reference manual says that you get run lines up to 30 feet long
> between the TC02 and formatter.
>
> My point is that the driver technology for the Qualstar (i.e. read data
> and status) is inappropriate for long cable runs.   The spec calls for
> 48 ma OC drivers.
>
> --Chuck
> ,

The bad news is that the cable lengths must be short to use the Qualstar
1260 with a PDP11, the good news is that I can lift and carry the tape
drive!  For many of us in this hobby that it is extremely important.

After looking at pictures of the 1260 on the internet I see that it was
designed to be used with a PC and the interface cable was 62 pins and
quite short.  Someone mentioned earlier that it was a cheap tape drive
that didn't meet the Pertec standard and I'm finding out what exactly
that meant.

It is nice to have a reel to reel tape drive and watch it work.

Doug