Pertec Interface Cable Length

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sun Aug 11 17:58:26 CDT 2019

On 08/11/2019 10:40 AM, Nigel Johnson via cctalk wrote:
> It's funny how licensing bodies do not recognise computer
> engineers. I am a member if the IEEE, but since I first
> wrote to the local body in 1974 they have never recognised
> computer engineering as a discipline.  After twenty years
> of chip-level troubleshooting on DEC machines I spent
> twenty twenty-five years teaching college before retiring
> to my soon-to-be-restored collection of old kit.
>
> I ran into the then President of the provincial licensing
> association at an alumni event a few years ago and he
> laughed, saying they are still working on it!

Well, "computer engineering" isn't well-defined.  For EE,
you can write loop and node equations and solve, and
determine exactly how an electrical network will behave.

They are trying to make systems that can analyze computer
programs in the same way, but I think we are pretty far from
that level of rigor.

Jon