Pertec Interface Cable Length

Carlos E Murillo-Sanchez ce.murillosanchez at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 11:01:04 CDT 2019

Jon Elson via cctalk wrote:
> On 08/10/2019 01:29 PM, Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:

I very much agree with the U.S. philosophy with regards to school
organization (i.e., a department or school  with general electrical
engineering faculty, directly hosting a degree program in electrical
engineering, with majors in either communications, power systems,
computer engineering, and so on.  In the last few decades some
departments in the U.S. have transitioned to names such as
"Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering" (see e.g.
http://www.ece.wisc.edu/ and https://www.ece.cornell.edu/ece,
precisely the two universities where I studied in the U.S.).

In Latin America, with some exceptions, it is common that each very
specific program is hosted by one very specific department,
thus there is one electronics engineering program linked to a department
of electronics engineering and a different electrical engineering
program with a department of electrical engineering. This is especially
true in older, public universities.  The reason for this is petty:
resource management (i.e., handling of tuition, human resources and so
on) was often done at the program level, so people preferred to have
"their own turf" in the organization and this led to this kind of
granularization.

I do belong to a "Department of Electrical, Electronics and Computer
Engineering" and I like it this way.  We do, however, host two
differently-named undergraduate programs, called, you guessed it,
Electrical Engineering and Electronics Engineering.  Nowadays many
students are choosing to stay one or two more semesters and obtain the
two degrees; this is possible because of the curricular design that we
have in place.

In the U.S., some of the first Electrical Engineering programs were
created inside Physics departments and only later were the corresponding
departments created.

carlos.