Pertec Interface Cable Length

Bill Gunshannon bill.gunshannon at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 11 08:59:00 CDT 2019

On 8/11/19 9:07 AM, W2HX via cctech wrote:
>> Would folding the
> excess cable up and covering with anti-static plastic help?
>
> unlikely. The typical problem is that the longer the cable, the higher the capacitance of the transmission line. Therefore you get a lot of problems with rising and trailing edges of the signals which can cause all kinds of problems if not terminated correctly.  I agree with the previous suggestion to make sure all termination is in place. If you can also place a scope on one of the lines (with high impedance probe) you can see what the edges look like.

All of my Pertec tape drives (in the past) were located in
a differentrack from the actual computer so the cables were
always over 10' long and usually close to if not 20'.  Never
had a problem.  I seem to remember they were ribbon cables
with each odd/even pair twisted which probably meant one
active and one ground twisted together.

I don't remember there being any specific termination like you see on
things like SCSI disks or RL Disks.

But then, it has been a long time since I had my last Pertec Tape
Drive.  Only 9-track I  have today is SCSI.

bill
'

bill