IBM Series/1

Paul Berger phb.hfx at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 20:28:48 CDT 2019

On 2019-08-06 5:33 a.m., Dave Wade via cctalk wrote:

> [...]
IBM used Series/1 to run the badge access systems everywhere. They where
also used to run production lines in the plants.  In one of my jobs we
had two channel attached Series/1 systems, that appeared to the MVS host
system as 3274 terminal control units, and where used to create
diskettes from images transmitted from another site.  I know of three
chains of stores that once had Series/1 systems as a back end
processor.  One of these store had systems without and operator panel or
diskette drive, so to run diagnostics on them the service rep had to
bring an operator panel and diskette drive with him.  A lot of the
service reps where not fond of working on them because they where so
reliable you could never become good at fixing them unless you had a lot
of them in your territory, as a result our branch expert was the guy who
serviced the local IBM plant.

Paul.