IBM Series/1

William Donzelli wdonzelli at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 21:32:44 CDT 2019

I have a pair, plus parts.

The hardware is excellent. They have fairly fast processors, and the
I/O capacity is great. Reliability is typical IBM.

The OS sucks balls. All the balls.

Commercially, they were not a success, despite being IBM's first
"open" system, in that they invited third party developers. It seems
like every S/1 I have ever seen has some CDC DNA in it, for some
reason. They ended up successful within IBM, once they found out they
were better comms boxes than the real mainframe boxes (3725, for
example). Some S/1s were built specifically for comms use on
mainframes (7171).

--
Will