Infocom mystery binary

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 00:01:19 CDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:58 PM David Griffith via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> In one of the repositories of Infocom game source code recently uploaded
> to Github, there's an executable that appears to have come from an m68k
> Unix machine of some sort.  It's at
> https://github.com/historicalsource/zork-german/blob/master/zap. Over at
> intfiction.org[1], it was initially claimed to be from a Macintosh.  Then
> I suggested it was from a pre-Sparc Sun machine.  Then someone else
> suggested it was from A/UX.  Does anyone know anything more conclusive?

Doing file(1) on it, I get...

$ file zap
zap: mc68k COFF object not stripped (demand paged)

 I also happen to have another version (not from github)

$ file sun/zap
mc68020 demand paged dynamically linked executable not stripped

_That_ one is a Sun3 binary.

-ethan