Plane of core memory

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 12:33:54 CDT 2019

I don't believe there is a simple non-destructive way to read the state. If you could remove the cores, I believe you could put each core in a weak magnetic field. As the field passes from side to side, one should be able to determine the direction of the saturated cores because one side would allow more of the field to enter the core while the other side would act as non-magnetic.
As for reading the data, you'd need to experiment to determine the minimum current that particular core required to flip a bit. With careful adjusting, I suspect one could sample the first bit.
Once knowing the levels used, the entire array can be read.
Dwight