Storage for 1/2" open reel tape

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Apr 5 17:44:21 CDT 2019

On 4/5/19 2:58 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:
> On 4/5/19 3:20 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> See how each reel of tape hangs from a slot in a horizontal bar? Those
>> white-and-black strips wrapped around the tapes are what I'm referring
>> to as being deteriorated.
>
> How does that come off the reel?
>
> Does the reel slide out?  Does it unlatch?  Do you have a picture of one
> without the tape reel in it?

The IRS facility photo used the IBM style; not flexible, but rather a
two-part sliding rigid plastic arrangement.  I think that the IRS also
used a robotic "picker.

I'd have to take a photo of one, I think, though if you have a very
ancient Wright-Line catalog, it's probably in there.

But basically, just behind the "hook", there's a black plastic latch.
When closed, it tensions the white band.

https://www.electronicsurplus.it/open2b/var/products/27/92/0-d95b2a25-800.jpg

what was convenient with those is that the latch-and-hook are attached
to the vinyl band by fitting with a couple of holes punched in the band.
 In a pinch, you could make hangers for smaller (than 10.5") reels by
cutting and punching new holes.

--Chuck