Burroughs BU4400 tape drive. What is it?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Apr 2 19:41:48 CDT 2019

On 4/2/19 3:04 PM, mike--- via cctalk wrote:

> Looks like you're right! I'm pretty sure it's a cleaner. Everything on
> it seems to work well, once I figured out how it was intended to work.
> Just had fool the tape optical sensor (BOT/EOT?) with a piece of paper
> and it started up fine. It only seems to want to go 'slow' in reverse,
> but that may be something to do with the lack of tape. I like the tape
> counter a lot. It shows error codes when they occur, and is a dot matrix
> style LED display (perhaps not true dot matrix, just something nicer
> looking than a 7-segment display).

If you're going to use this thing, do check the carbide (sometimes
ceramic) cleaning blade.  You want the edge to be sharp and smooth; if
it's nicked or chipped, it will end up doing more harm than good.

I suspect that a carbide insert for machine tools might be cobbled up as
a replacement, if required.

--Chuck