helping to clean out an estate - a lot of CRAY

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Fri Sep 28 10:13:31 CDT 2018

> I appreciate the multiple offers to digitize the tapes. I will try to get
> back to everyone next week.  Maybe split the load? Looking for ideas here.
> My only rule is both museums get a copy and post it for public use. I do
> have a few requests for some of the original tapes.

I was one of the people that offered. I have pro decks, Composite + SDI
converter, audio processors for volume maximization on spoken content, and
a Blackmagic ATEM system for SDI to H264 conversion. Colo host and 60TB of
disk at home, along with a 500TB LTO-5 library.

My goal is just to digitize the tapes, get the files to whomever wants
them (plus archive.org), and then the tapes go to some collector that
wants to hold onto the originals. I don't have physical room to store the
tapes long term.

I have archived a lot of laser show content recently that is digital data
stored on 3/4" umatic, Beta, and SVHS ADAT format. I've found that pro
tapes have help up well but consumer tapes less so.

--
: Ethan O'Toole