ISO 70's and 80's coax and twinax terminal docs/brochures

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 14:30:53 CDT 2018

> On Sep 19, 2018, at 3:24 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>

> On 9/19/18 12:04 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
>> I haven't heard any discussion about the Fujitsu coax terminals.
>
> There hasn't ever been much talk on cctlk about non-ASCII terminals.
>
> It's one of those things that never crossed my mind before having to deal
> with that world in the context of working with the Museum's holdings.
>
> Burroughs and Sperry had their own incompatible polling terminals too.

My "favorite" weird terminal is the Harris 2200 display advertising editing station.  It was used in newspapers in the late 1970s, where I ran into it connected to DEC's Typeset-11 system.  I think each terminal was a display head connected to some sort of PDP-11 controller.  Not sure, it may have been something else.

The communication protocol was seriously mind-bending.  Multidrop BISYNC over an async line (DL11-E at the PDP11 end), half duplex with modem control signals for the poll and line direction handshakes.  It usually worked.  But I did have some painful 2 am debug sessions at the Philadelphia Bulletin when it didn't quite work all the time...

	paul