VT240, VT241 are graphics? what does it mean?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Sep 16 10:24:55 CDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018, 9:02 AM Carlo Pisani via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> hi
> so, in a description of DEC terminals, I read "VT240 and VT241 are
> graphics terminals, supporting Digital’s ReGIS graphics and Tektronix
> vector graphics"
>
> what does it mean? which kind of graphics? Can they draw lines?
>
> I am googling for "Digital’s ReGIS graphics" and "Tektronix vector
> graphics", but I have only found dead links =(

The terminals were text based, until a certain escape sequence was sent.
Then it would interpret everything as a tek command. Different escape
sequences went into regis mode which were similar, but more powerful. These
were done mostly to draw plots or other graphs at the time. I believe Regis
added bitnaps to the vector graphics (which just means drawing line by only
specifying their end points and other details).

Warner

Warner