Portable terminals

Ed Sharpe couryhouse at aol.com
Sun Sep 9 12:37:39 CDT 2018

what is the date?  Would have  been a  wonderful  device  for a  journalist to  connect  to a  mainframe  with...   Ed#

In a message dated 9/8/2018 11:25:59 PM US Mountain Standard Time, cctalk at classiccmp.org writes:

Data General made a nifty and flexible terminal called "Walkabout". It

had 32kb of internal memory one could use to take notes on the move. It
 ran on a 12volt wall wart which charged an onboard nicad battery.
The lcd screen is not backlit but it was useable in most any light.
The sliders on the face note-book-like machine controlled contrast and
darkness. I used one as the head unit for my Data General MV4000/DC.
The battery is likely dead on any you'll find, but it is easily
accessible by a sliding cover on the side which when removed reveals a
pack you can unplug and replace without tools.

It supported a fair list of emulations selectable on-screen including
vt220 and vt100 plus various proprietary 'Dasher' emulations. The
keyboard is better than most modern-day notebooks, it is VERY light-
weight and pretty sturdy. Here's a link to a photo.

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/dg-walkabout/DSC06218.JPG

Jeffrey S. Worley