Oddball Terminals (Was: Re: VT100's)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Sep 8 21:39:31 CDT 2018

On 09/08/2018 03:57 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> My first TTY was the DECwriter II. My first terminal was a Beehive
> BH100. I hacked together some TECO to support it on a local
> vi/emacs/EDT-like visual mode editor... IIRC, the escape sequences were
> put into specific numbered registers as TECO macros. A poor man's curses
> in the mid 70's.... I thought it was super cool until I discovered emacs
> at school on our 11/750...

Before I got real disks on my MITS box, I used a Techtran dual-deck
paper tape simulator as storage (one deck read-only, the other
read/write and block searchable) and the Beehive as a rudimentary word
processor.  Read up a page, edit offline, and then hit "Transmit".

Early CPT word processors worked in a similar manner.

IIRC, the Super Bee used an 8008 and a whole mess of shift registers for
storage.

--Chuck