VT100's

Bob Smith bobsmithofd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:35:18 CDT 2018

My recollections, having worked for Stockebra in the comm group when
he started the 50.
These are all recollections, from my time working at DEC, no looking
at history books, no interweb tube alta vista quesries.

50 was a quite brilliant limited capability terminal, that could
replace the OEM'd VTs that were are at the time.
It was supposed to offer a thermal printer iirc, but that got pushed to 52.
52 was a reengineered/recpacked more easily manufactured unit.
Both were relative light compared to the other bulky ones that were
more sleek and lots heavier.
WE could sling a 50/52 around from lab to lab with TTY connections,
RS232 connections, and they just worked when we hooked them up.
We used a 52 as the base for the VT78 - better psu in the 52 is what I
recall for that decision.
The 100 models were - at the time - like something out of scifi, and
something like the Heath product.
Follow on models were even more scifi and fantastic.
So, a little geezing a tiny bit of tech, and just anecdotal rememberance.
I like the 220/240 models me self.
bb