MSDN CD disposition

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Oct 31 19:09:41 CDT 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> What's Microsoft's policy on old MSDN CDs?  I've got a ton of them
> starting somewhere around 93-94 and extended through the XP years.
>
> Do I respect MS's IP and send them to the crusher?

On a CASUAL basis, they wouldn't really care about any of the discontinued
products.

But, if you were to ask for a FORMAL policy statement, then they would
have to consult their legal department, and assert their IP rights.
(There is no legal recognition of any concept of "abandonware")

Because of his museum activities, Paul Allen would have been a good one
to get a written INFORMAL opinion from, because he might have understood
the concepts.

Since there is nothing on them that would identify you, there are a number
of people who would gladly help you to properly dispose of them.