Desktop Metaphor

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:29:56 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 10:16 PM Richard Loken via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I am replying to this email on a FreeBSD 10.3 box and Motif.  I don't
> know what FreeBSD runs out of the box because I immediately delete it
> and install Motif.

FreeBSD doesn't run *any* graphical user interface out of the box.
What you end up with after install of the FreeBSD OS is a console with
a login prompt.
As any _real_ operating system should be, IMNSHO.

After you have logged in, you can (of course) install Xorg and your
selection of desktop environments (or a wm + extras if you prefer
that) via the package system (or ports, if you prefer to wait for
compiling from source).

> FreeBSD may not have the installed base of Linux but it has a its fans.

Yes, this workstation runs FreeBSD 10.4 and Xfce.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen