Microsoft-Paul Allen

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:41:05 CDT 2018

On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 22:54, Grant Taylor via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> On 10/22/2018 08:14 AM, Liam Proven via cctalk wrote:
> > *Every* Unix desktop out there draws on Win95.
>
> Nope.  That's simply not true.
>
> The following three vast families of window managers / desktops prove
> (to my satisfaction) that your statement is wrong.
>
>   · Common Desktop Environment (a.k.a. CDE) and it's ilk.
>   · The various *Box window managers / desktop environments.
>   · Motif window manager and it's ilk.
>
> They are all significantly different from each other and from Windows's
> Explorer interface, first publicly debuting with Windows 95.
>
> > The Win95 Explorer re-wrote the book on OS UI design.
>
> "A" book, maybe.  I don't think it was "the" book.
>
> > The _only_  company to resist was Apple, because of course, some of the
> > reasons that Win95 is the way it is are attempts to do things differently
> > from Apple so as not to get sued.
>
> I think /company/ is critical in that statement as it implies for profit
> business which excludes many other non-business related options.  Even
> then, IBM, Sun, HP, etc were releasing commercial Unixes with CDE and /
> or Motif after Windows 95.

See my comments in the other thread.

It's pointless to compare environments from _before_ Win95 as a way of
saying that Win95 didn't influence them!

And plain WMs aren't desktops. In my long comment in the other thread,
I've been very generous in what I'm calling a "desktop" but at the
least it has to be a cohesive environment offering accessory programs
and features such as file management, text editing, and so on.

A bunch of terminals in a window manager are not a "desktop environment".