Wanted: tech docs on original Iomega 8-inch full height 10MB Bernoulli drive (Alpha-10)

Hagstrom, Paul hagstrom at bu.edu
Tue Oct 16 06:47:09 CDT 2018

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 7:28 AM, David Schmidt via cctech <cctech at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 10/15/18 1:00 PM, cctech-request at classiccmp.org wrote:
>> From: Michael Brutman <mbbrutman at brutman.com>
>> Hi Eric,
>> I have working 10MB and 20MB units here being driven by a PC XT with the
>> Iomega specific card for them.
>> I've had to puts lots of effort into cleaning the heads on them.  I'm not

[...]

> I've got a collection of 1/2 height 8" drives, and one among them (a 20 MB unit) is able to come online with a cartridge inserted.  Maybe head cleaning is what is troubling the others - but I have no idea how I'd jam a cotton swab in there and find the heads to attempt a cleaning.

Iomega made cleaning cartridges that had a pad you could soak in cleaning solution and then insert, and there was a lever that stays outside that you can pull back and forth. Otherwise, yes, I think it would be kind of an adventure to get at the heads. I have at least one of these cleaning cartridges, but I haven't attempted to use it yet. Probably should. Also sounds like I should prioritize imaging whatever cartridges I have soon.

 -Paul