Altos 386/1000 boot/diags images?

Gordon Henderson gordon+cctalk at drogon.net
Wed Oct 10 04:42:53 CDT 2018

Long shot, but you never know...

I recently obtained an Altos 386/1000 system (80386 + 4GB RAM in a tower
case with tape drive and floppy)

After a quick clean and check it powered up, gave a whinge about a flat
battery (which I'm told is to be expected), and then booted SysV r3 Unix
OK.

After an hour or so poking about, I shut it down then powered it up again
a short time later...

Now, it starts up, does the power on checks (including the battery
whinge), loads Unix, prints some information about memory and a 16 user
license then stops. No more messages, no keyboard input, nothing.

So I'm a bit stuck. I've found some manuals online but they're not really
helping - I'll take it to bits later and see if I can read the internal
SCSI drive on another system but I'm not convinced there is an issue with
the drive though.

So wondering if anyone knows of any installation (or diagnostic) images
for these machines? It has a SCSI tape drive and I have some tapes for it,
so with some SCSI shenanigans I'm fairly sure I can write a boot tape on a
Linux system, or maybe even the floppy - but I need the images... Any
clues?

Thanks,

Gordon