Ethernet names...

Eric Smith spacewar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:27:36 CDT 2018

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018, 11:35 Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> Does anybody know names / terms that correspond to the original 3 Mbps
> Ethernet?
>
> I.e. 10 Mbps Ethernet is also knows as Ethernet II (2) and D.I.X. (for
> Digital, Intel, and Xerox).
>
> Was the first 3 Mbps Ethernet simply called "Ethernet" with an implicit
> "I" (1)?  Was there a name to differentiate it from D.I.X.?

3 Mbps Ethernet is _NOT_ Ethernet I. Both Ethernet I and II were 10 Mbps
DIX standards, with II having only minor differences from I.

3 Mbps was sometimes referred to as experimental Ethernet, but AFAIK the
only official name was "Ethernet".

The best way to refer to it is probably "3 Mbps Ethernet".