SPARCstation 20 with SCSI2SD

ethan at 757.org ethan at 757.org
Sun Nov 25 21:49:59 CST 2018

> I was hoping to just emulate it for now to avoid potentially bad hardware,
> but seems like I need to use the real hardware to avoid potentially bad
> software! :)

Ah cool. I was at a friend's brother's house on a work trip out to Silicon
Valley. One of his friends was there, with something amazing running in
QEMU. It was a work in progress, but he said that there were a lot of
issues because QEMU was too accurate in emulating the MIPS procressors and
in addition to this, there was bugs in his former employer's hardware that
had software work-arounds in the real OS. So when trying to run that OS on
the emulated system the accuracy worked against him.

> The NVRAM is totally dead; I've been reloading the IDPROM contents each
> time. I've already ordered replacement NVRAMs from China; we'll see how
> they do. Otherwise, I'll be going with the filing/coin cell trick.

Interesting. Are they no longer made? I should get one for my Voyager.

> Not sure; but, I can say, I've got SunOS 4.1.3 finally installed, and am
> now looking at a sparse SunView desktop.

Very cool

> Trying to build MazeWar results in:
>
> ld: Undefined symbol
>   ___bb_init_func
>   DREG_SEG
> *** Error code 2
>
> Not sure yet what to look for, but the source does say it was tested on
> SunOS 3.1 and 3.4. So, I am trying to compile it on something a bit later.

Sun compiler I assume and not a GCC?

--
: Ethan O'Toole