SPARCstation 20 with SCSI2SD

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 21:39:24 CST 2018

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018 at 9:14 PM <ethan at 757.org> wrote:

> Since you said QEMU, you are emulating this? If on the real hardware, is

the NVRAM memory dead? Looks like it doesn't know what kind of hardware it
> is. Real hardware will loose nvram battery and need to be replaced and
> reprogrammed, or you can file it down and jumper a battery into it.

I was hoping to just emulate it for now to avoid potentially bad hardware,
but seems like I need to use the real hardware to avoid potentially bad
software! :)

The NVRAM is totally dead; I've been reloading the IDPROM contents each
time. I've already ordered replacement NVRAMs from China; we'll see how
they do. Otherwise, I'll be going with the filing/coin cell trick.

There is also probably a bunch of environment variables in the NVRAM as to
> the CD-ROM SCSI path and OS scsi path and stuff on the Sun. It's been a
> long time since Sun boxes for me, so unfortuantely I've forgotten a lot of
> it. But if it's all reset or non-existant it could be a source of issues
> if my memory is right (It definitely is on SGI hardware.)

Not sure; but, I can say, I've got SunOS 4.1.3 finally installed, and am
now looking at a sparse SunView desktop.

Trying to build MazeWar results in:

ld: Undefined symbol
   ___bb_init_func
   DREG_SEG
*** Error code 2

Not sure yet what to look for, but the source does say it was tested on
SunOS 3.1 and 3.4. So, I am trying to compile it on something a bit later.

Thanks,

Kyle