Missing FORRTL

Douglas Taylor dj.taylor4 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 16:23:30 CST 2018

On 11/22/2018 7:21 AM, Peter Coghlan via cctalk wrote:

>> Yes, there is a SYS$SHARE:DEC$FORRTL.EXE in SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB],
>> which was put there when the Fortran compiler was installed.  I can
>> compile, link and run ordinary Fortran programs.
>
> There should have been a SYS$SHARE:DEC$FORRTL.EXE present from when the
> operating system was installed but installing the FORTRAN compiler may
> have updated it.
>> However, I forced the installation of CXML and tried to compile one
>> of the examples and that failed - couldn't find INCLUDE 'CXMLDEF.FOR'.
>>

> This is a missing source include file and is not related to the run time
> library.  It is needed at compile time, not at run time.  I suspect it is
> normally found in what VMS calls a text library file, probably matching
> SYS$SHARE:*DEF.TLB - include files used by the FORTRAN compiler are to be
> found in SYS$SHARE:FORSYSDEF.TLB for example.  (These are binary files
> - you
> can use LIBRARY /LIST to list their contents or LIBRARY /EXTRACT to
> examine
> a particular member.) On the other hand, there may not be a text library
> file involved and CXML may be expecting to find a plain text file called
> CXMLDEF.FOR - it might be worth looking for this in and around
> SYS$EXAMPLES:
>

>> I found this on the net and shows CXML installed in a different
>> version of OpenVMS -
>>
>> The system is a Digital Personal Workstation 500au:
>>
>>    $ product show product *
>>    ----------------------------------- ----------- ------------
>>

>>    PRODUCT                             KIT TYPE    STATE
>>    ----------------------------------- ----------- ------------
>>    DEC AXPVMS CXML V3.59-1             Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS DECNET_PHASE_IV V7.2-1   Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS DWMOTIF V1.2-5           Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS FORRTL V7.3-1            Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS FORTRAN V7.3-1           Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS NS_NAV_EXPORT V3.3       Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS OPENVMS V7.2-1           Platform    Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS TCPIP V5.0-10            Full LP     Installed
>>    DEC AXPVMS VMS V7.2-1               Oper System Installed
>>    ----------------------------------- ----------- ------------
>>    9 items found
>>
>> and what I see is that there is a FORTRAN, FORRTL and CXML product
>> installed.  I can't seem to find anything about the FORRTL product.
>>

> When a relatively new compiler is installed on an older operating
> system (V7.2-1
> in this case), it is sometimes necessary to update the run time
> library in
> order to take advantage of some of the new features provided by the
> compiler.
> I can't recall if this has to be done separately or if it happens
> automatically
> (if appropriate) when the compiler is installed.  I think the latter.
>
> A newer run time library than the one that comes with VMS 8.4 may not be
> [...]

I was able to get the Fortran and C examples in
SYS$COMMON:[SYSHLP.EXAMPLES.CXML] to compile and run.

I was not able to be the C++ example to compile, but I'm more interested
in Fortran and C so it doesn't bother me.

In order to get the Fortran examples to compile, link and run:

$@SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]CXML$SET_LIB VAX  (IEEE is another option, but
didn't run on my ALPHA)

$FORTRAN/INCLUDE=SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB] file.for  (this picks up the
missing CXMLDEF.FOR Include)

$ link file.obj  (didn't need to do anything special here, just ordinary
link)

$ r file  ( this works )

I think I'll try installing CXML first, then Fortran and see what
happens.  I saw someone who recommended installing CXX before CC on
ALpha, so there may be a hidden correct order.

Doug