Font for DEC indicator panels

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Nov 13 11:28:50 CST 2018

On 2018-11-13 10:21 AM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
>     > From: Toby Thain
>
>     > To get closer I'd need better images of the panels.
>
> Hi, I borrowed a DEC inlay from someone (a KA10 CPU bay) and scanned a chunk
> of it (as much as I could fit into my A4 scanner :-) at 200 dpi:
>
>   http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/jpg/KACPUPanel.jpg
>
> I have a TC08 inlay, but it's currently being used in my QSIC display (until
> we can get the RKV11-F/RPV11-D inlay done :-), and I didn't want to yank it
> out. As far as I can tell, it's the same font on the two of them.
>

>     > the closest I know of off the top of my head is Akzidenz Grotesk.
>
> The Akzidenz Grotesk Medium is indeed very, very close (other than the zero).

"Standard Medium" appears to be an American trade name for Akzidenz
Grotesk or clones. Unfortunately the AG "Q" is still wrong for your
panel example, so this is not it.

  http://castletype.com/html/tipoteca/standard-norm-medium.html

^^ This is a revival, but the font is much older and was used for
transit signage in NYC.

--Toby