Font for DEC indicator panels

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Mon Nov 12 14:54:04 CST 2018

On 2018-11-12 3:04 PM, Noel Chiappa via cctalk wrote:
> So, anyone happen to know the font used in DEC's indicator panels:
>
>   http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/DECIndicatorPanels.html
>
> or, at least, a very close match?
>
> For mockups we're doing, Dave B is using 'DejaVu Sans', but that's not a
> really close match: the vertical bars are wider than in the DEC font, where
> the verticals and horizontals are the same width.
>
> It would be nice to have a closer match when we go to turn out replicas.
> (We're just about settled on the format for the QSIC RKV11-F/RPV11-D panels.)
>
>        Noel

I took a quick look... None of them are DIN, for what it's worth.

It's somewhat close to Akzidenz Grotesk[1] - around Medium weight. The
TC08 looks slightly compressed horizontally, so you might need to play
with weights and transformations and letter spacing a little bit to
match actual panels.

To narrow it down farther I think we would need much better quality images.

--Toby

[1] https://www.bertholdtypes.com/font/akzidenz-grotesk/proplus/