New to System/36

alan at alanlee.org alan at alanlee.org
Sat Nov 10 20:59:34 CST 2018

Good news.  At our AHCS club meeting today, someone there just happened
to have a keyboard with the correct code page and connector for my
terminal.  Yvan was correct in that the terminal doesn't operate at all
without one.  With the keyboard, everything came alive.  The machine
IPL'd just fine into a login screen after about 8 minutes. We were able
to get into the disk editor, recover the username and password, and
log-on successfully.  So I apparently do have a working set of 1x 30 MB
and 1x 60 MB hard disks.  Password and data security was not active and
there were only 3 total users.  The CMAS accounting software menu or
library - default for the other users - was not found.  I'm assuming it
was maybe deleted when the machine was taken out of service.  But the
system is functional.

The BASIC, FORTRAN, and COBOL languages were not installed. But we did
try writing a Hello World program in RPG II but it failed to compile
correctly!  It was fun trying.  The default line level editor was about
the worst thing I've ever used in 40 years of pounding on a keyboard -
and I've seen a lot of bad in that time.

I still would like to get a set (or two) of later release SSP disks as
as well as archive and reimage some of the application software I have.
I'll email Mcguire.  But if anyone else has experience in imaging IBM
mid-range floppies, I'd love to get some more advice.

Thanks,

Alan H.