PDP, Data General & more (TV show Maniac)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Nov 2 10:08:45 CDT 2018

On 11/02/2018 06:58 AM, Michael Thompson via cctalk wrote:
>> From: Camiel Vanderhoeven <camiel.vanderhoeven at vmssoftware.com>
>> Subject: Re: PDP, Data General & more (TV show Maniac)
>>
>> Looks more like a model 30 to me; the model 40 panel has regular lamps
>> rather than the lights behind an overlay.
>>
> Like the 360 Model 30 panel on this page?
> http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/interesting_computer_items/ibm-control-panels

There were two versions of the 360/30.  The first 1000 units
had that plastic overlay panel, the later 9000 units
apparently had the more traditional 360-style panel with
user-replaceable lamps.
But, I can't find any pictures of one.

The lamps had a pretty short life, the IBM FEs always left
an ashtray with a dozen replacement lamps on the console
when they visited, so the staff could replace the bulbs
themselves as they went out.

Jon