old DEC stuff

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Wed May 30 18:59:19 CDT 2018

Hi,

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 11:52:13AM -0500, Jay West via cctalk wrote:
> Dominique wrote:
> $75 for one toggle switch ? $9,999.00 for a rusty PDP8L ?
>
> hem ... No
> -----------------
> Mitch Miller is a really good guy, and very "collector friendly".
> He still sells to a lot of business clients, and those are the prices he can get for those in that market.
>
> However, if you call or email him - let him know you are a collector - you'll find him willing to work with you.

My experience has been as Jay suggests. Mitch has been both extremely
helpful, and reasonable to work with as a hobbyist on a budget, you just
need to make clear up front you are a hobbyist; maybe mention CCTALK.

I visited his warehouse on my Dayton Hamvention trip last week, and came
away with some considerably better deals from Mitch than from the hamfest
fleamarket. I know Mitch is interested in doing more hobbyist business,
and understands dollar amounts and expectations are different than when
selling to a government agency or big business.

I see rusty PDP8s on e-pay from various sellers for what seem to me like
crazy amounts, though am not sure if they actually sell for that kind of
money. Maybe there is another entire category of collector who buys that
kind of stuff for that kind of money.

It would have been my loss had I written off Mitch on the basis of some
of Mitch's listings expensive, but admittedly rare, pdp-11 switch listings.

Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com), KC3DRE