Modifying microcode

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Wed May 30 08:19:29 CDT 2018

Has anyone attempted to reassemble and update the microcode on a MicroVAX?

Seems like there's enough stuff here to possibly do it:
http://simh.trailing-edge.com/semi/ucode/

I'm thinking about trying to find a microcoded architecture to play with
before I design something around the Intel 3000 series.

I've got a MicroVAX 3800, so I suppose I could run MICRO2 to assemble the
aforementioned microcode. But then what? I assume PALs would have to be
burned to implement the new microcode. Or is it more complicated than that?

I don't have a PDP-11/60, unfortunately. I do have an 11/45, though...so
with this modification, I suppose one could have some fun:
http://repository.cmu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3241&context=compsci

Thanks,

Kyle