OT- Thunderbird ugliness, Was: Eudora email client source code released

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Thu May 24 18:03:08 CDT 2018

On 05/24/2018 04:54 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure that I do use gmail for SMTP.   I rarely use it to
> send mail--i use it mostly as a "junk mail collector" or for something
> that requires a gmail address.

Fair.

> I don't recall if I used my own relay for outgoing SMTP from a gmail
> address or not.

If you do use other servers to send your Gmail address, you're likely
running afoul of Gmail's SPF and DMARC.  Your messages also wouldn't be
DKIM signed by Gmail if you don't use Gmail's SMTP servers.

> I wasn't aware of Thunderbird's lineage.   I wonder how much of
> the original Netscape Mail is in Thunderbird, or even if Thunderbird
> understands Netscape mailboxes.

I have no idea how much of the original code is still in there.

I /think/ that Thunderbird does (or at least it used to) use standard
mbox files for storage.  So lots of things can handle that.

> I was probably still using NCSA Mosaic for web browsing in 1996.

I don't know that I ever used NCSA Mosaic.  I should probably try it in
a VM running Windows 3x some day.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die