OT- Thunderbird ugliness, Was: Eudora email client source code released

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Wed May 23 10:49:53 CDT 2018

On 05/23/2018 08:28 AM, JP Hindin via cctalk wrote:
> Apologies to hijack this one (I can't tell you how impressed I am with
> both the CHM's efforts and Qualcomm's release, I find these things
> really exciting for our hobby) - but I've been having real troubles with
> TBird in the last few years and my obstinacy has been holding me back.

I don't think this was a thread  hijack attempt at all.

You're parroting things I said on Twitter about Eudora's source code
release and what it might mean for Thunderbird or some of their users.

> I run Thunderbird on a 2016 MacBoook Pro (Sierra 10.12.6, 2.6GHz i7,
> 16GB RAM, internal SSD) where I'm pulling via IMAP from Google (their
> professional company service thingy), but maintain a local 24GB cache of
> eMail.

I've got about 1/6th of that in IMAP spread across 1,118 folders.

> It's slower than molasses in january. Moving eMail around between
> 'folders' often has it sit and spin the beachball for 2-3 seconds -
> dozens of times a day. And I just can't work out why - I mean, yes, it's
> a lot of ruddy eMail, but it's a monster of a laptop and it should be
> pulling/moving on the SSD when it's getting stuck before it's even tried
> to send the move message to google.

How are you interfacing with Gmail?  IMAP or something else.  —  I think
Thunderbird supports interfacing with Gmail in another protocol.  I may
be wrong.

> I _detest_ the gmail interface, I'd really prefer to continue using a
> client like this - but TBird just isn't getting any better.

AGREED!!!

> What am I missing here? Are there better options? Is Thunderbird just
> not designed for large mail sets for people who actually work for a living?

I don't know.  I too wonder if there's another option.  Hence why I'm
hoping that Eudora's source code release & license will help this situation.

> advance for your opinions, my curmudgeonly behaviour is really eating up
> my time and I'm hoping there's a reasonable fix beyond "Suck it up and
> use gmail".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

--
Grant. . . .