OT- Thunderbird ugliness, Was: Eudora email client source code released

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed May 23 22:41:41 CDT 2018

On 05/23/2018 06:53 PM, Grant Taylor via cctalk wrote:

> I /think/ I knew that.  But I obviously forgot it.

  pop.googlemail.com  port 995.

> Yep, Gmail supports Google Sync.
>
> Link - What is Google Sync?
>  - https://support.google.com/a/answer/135937?hl=en

I'd prefer to keep my own messages and just use gmail as a server.

> I don't think I've used Courier myself.

Courser used to be called Calypso.  One of the older (1996) Windows
clients.  Got passed alsong until it was discontinued by its current
owner, Rose City Software around 2009.   There's still a Yahoo community
for it.  But it's 32-bit Windows only, AFAIK; Calypso was 16-bit.  At
one point, RC released source, but I don't know if any copies were
preserved.

It was useful back in the day because it allowed multiple accounts, like
most email clients do today.

But it's old stuff; I wouldn't bother.

Pegasus/Mercury is still around: http://www.pmail.com/, but I don't know
much about the current (2017) release.  I used it mostly because it
could import Calypso/Courier mailboxes directly.  From Pegasus to
Thunderbird was a very easy move.

When I moved my workload from Windows to Linux, I just brought along the
Windows mail profile content and I was up and running in minutes.

It's strange; although I still have some archives, I don't recall what I
used for an email reader when I was doing email with UUCP.  I do recall
that it was awkward--it required a separate utility to handle
MIME-encoded content.  Folks hadn't discovered email with HTML content
yet--those were simpler days.

--Chuck